My weight loss journey so far. December 27, 2011
I am 28 y/o and 5ft 11in.
I weighed myself in August and I had finally crossed the 300lb mark (305lbs at 5ft 11in) for the first time in my life. I had flirted with that weight for several years, but never crossed it to my knowledge. But, I never was a fan of weighing myself because I didn’t want to know the truth. This is what I changed since then and it seems to be working for me:
- I Started a well-defined exercise program in early September (Power90). I have tons more energy. I’ve dropped a chunk of weight. I am more flexible. And I’ve built a little muscle.
- I cut out ALL soda and calorie-dense drinks that provide no nutrients. I don’t even drink vitamin water. I only drink orange juice, milk, green tea, and tons and tons of normal water. I decided that I would rather eat my calories and enjoy them that way rather than drink them. (This is also why Slim Fast didn’t work for me).
- I count ALL my calories in a Google spreadsheet, but I don’t deprive myself of foods that I enjoy. I need this to be a lifestyle change for me and not just a quick diet. So, I need to make realistic changes. I knew cutting out all the food I enjoy would be a surefire way for me to fail. I just control my portions better and make smarter decisions.
- I use boredom as an excuse to exercise, and I try not to avoid small opportunities to burn a few extra calories (like taking the stairs instead of the elevator).
- I started following a subReddit called /r/loseit
Also, I originally changed my eating schedule. I ate 3 to 5 times per day to help keep constant energy throughout the day and to keep my metabolism running. I would always eat breakfast, even if it’s just a granola and nut bar. I use this opportunity to also take a multi-vitamin. And, I stop eating at least 3 hours before bed. For the past 10 years or so, I got into a bad habit of only eating 1 or 2 meals a day (never breakfast). That loaded all of my calories into a small timeframe. And it was usually late. This + the soda seem to be the big factors in what caused me to gain weight.
I finished my first round of Power90 on December 4th, 2011. I weighed in that morning at 274.2 for a loss of 30.8lbs in 3 months. And, I have gained muscle mass. I still have a long way to go, but I am happy with my progress so far (even though it isn’t as visible as I would like).
I have to wear a belt with all of the pants I own or they will fall off (I can take off my pants without unbuttoning them). And, I had to poke a new hole in my belt. I don’t dare buy new clothes right now because I plan to continue my journey. I can actually fit comfortably into my 10-year-old high school workout clothes. But, I don’t see a huge difference in the mirror.
I started out following the P90 program exactly as it was written. After I got into the 3-4 exercises, I started to REALLY get bored with the routine. So, I started subbing in a stationary bike for the cardio. I bought one with pre-programmed exercise routines and adjustable difficulty. I have gotten to the point where I can do a 40 minute ride on the 12th (of 16) difficulty setting and an uphill circuit.
I have been taking the recommended multivitamin to help the recovery process. But, I have also been taking a fish-oil supplement for the past month or so because I do not eat a lot of fish or other sources of Omega 3/6/9 fatty acids.
I am also thinking about starting training for a 5k. There is a 5k race on my birthday in April. It would be nice to be able to do that.
I have been off Power90 for 22 days, but I have tried to create my own routine following many of the same workouts. It hasn’t been nearly as effective without the pacing and the discipline the videos provide. So, I think I am going to restart the videos soon and stick with them strictly again. My last weigh-in was on December 22nd at 271.2 lbs. A total loss so far of 33.8 lbs.
[Google Spreadsheet Chart. Auto-updates]